UEFA open investigation into Neymar over his comments on VAR

Heather Diaz
March 16, 2019

UEFA today confirmed they are launching an investigation into Neymar's comments via a statement on their website.

He watched on incredulous from the sidelines at the Parc des Princes as United were awarded a stoppage-time penalty for a debateable handball via the video assistant referee (VAR) system.

Neymar, the Paris Saint-Germain forward, could be banned for the first three matches of next season's Champions League after Uefa launched an investigation into his sweary rant at the match officials after last week's defeat by Manchester United.

Marcus Rashford rifled the spot kick past the PSG goalkeeper Gigi Buffon to seal a 3-1 victory and passage into the last eight.

In a statement released on Wednesday afternoon, European football's governing body said it had "appointed an ethics and disciplinary inspector to conduct an investigation" into Neymar's comments.

United striker Lukaku a doubt for FA Cup quarter-final
United would meet Liverpool in the semi-finals should both sides progress. "There's so many variables and these games will be decided by margins".

"And UEFA still pick four guys who know nothing about football to review the VAR decision in slow motion. that handball simply doesn't exist!"

"What can he do with his hand while his back is turned?" asked Neymar, who missed both legs through injury.

In his Instagram post in Portuguese, Neymar said, "It's a disgrace".

Following the comments, UEFA have now announced that they have opened proceedings on the Brazilian worldwide, with an outcome expected to be reached soon.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER