Area Leading To Where Jayme Closs Escaped Now Open

Leroy Wright
January 14, 2019

A man suspected of kidnapping Wisconsin teenager Jayme Closs and killing her parents is expected to make his initial appearance in court this afternoon.

Ten minutes after Jayme was found, Patterson was pulled over and arrested.

For months they had been praying Jayme was safe and would return home to her friends and family.

Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald, who led the investigation, said: "The will of a 13-year-old girl is what broke this case". Smith's other sister, Sue Allard, said in a Facebook post early Saturday morning how proud of Jayme she was.

Records show that defendant Jake Thomas Patterson's father transferred the title of the cabin near Gordon to Superior Choice Credit Union on October 23, eight days after the October 15 attack at the Closs family's home near Barron, which is about 60 miles (100 kilometers) south of Gordon. "She just went the right direction at the right time".

"I'm lost, and I don't know where I am, and I need help", Nutter recalled Jayme saying before she brought the girl to the Kasinskas' home.

Nutter said she's glad that Patterson was quickly apprehended, and that Jayme is already safely back with her family. Prosecutors are set to formally charge him with two counts of intentional homicide and one count of kidnapping before court begins.

In June 2002, Smart, then 14, was abducted at knifepoint from her Salt Lake City, Utah, home, and held captive by couple Brian David Mitchell and Wanda Barzee for nine months. It's unclear how Patterson became aware of Jayme, and authorities have found no evidence of any interactions between them. She is now Jayme's legal guardian. When the dispatcher called back, a voicemail greeting indicated the phone belonged to Denise Closs, 46.

Cop Killer Claimed Police Targeted Him With 'Ultra Sonic Waves'
The note said: The Davis Police Department has been hitting me with ultra sonic waves meant to keep dogs from barking. As part of that case, Limbaugh was ordered to surrender an AR-15 rifle, the report said. "She just enjoyed her job".

Jayme was missing for almost three months and police collected more than 3,500 tips but no hard leads emerged.

Jayme on Thursday asked a stranger for help after fleeing the woodland cabin near the small town of Gordon where she said she had been imprisoned. Nutter said Jayme did not have a coat or gloves.

"I've been a social worker since 1976", she said.

"He was very quiet, not a troublemaker that I can remember".

Nutter objected to a media report that described Jayme as being "dirty", but she said the girl clearly wasn't appropriately dressed for being outside and was obviously in distress.

When deputies arrested him, he was out looking for Jayme, Fitzgerald said.

Although Jayme had disappeared, investigators said they initially "keyed in" on the parents because the daughter was an innocent child who they didn't believe could be targeted.

Her church family wants to make sure she knows she has support in the coming days, weeks, months and even years ahead. "What a great feeling to have her home".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article