Ohio Man Alleges Apple iPhone XS Max Exploded In His Pants Pocket

Judy Cobb
January 2, 2019

And while that's all well and good, Hillard believes Apple should foot the bill for his damaged clothes.

While Hillard didn't look into it immediately, he eventually experienced green and yellow smoke coming from his iPhone.

Hillard further stated, "From the time of first noticing the fire and between removal of the trousers and taking the phone out of my pocket and placing it outside, I inhaled A LOT of smoke". At the time of the incident, he was on a lunch break in a break room with a colleague. I asked about my clothing and they told me that they could make no promises until the phone was captured.

Explaining the incident to IDrop News, Hillard said, "Left no other option, I had to exit the room since there was a female in the break room with me and remove my trousers".

He also claims he inhaled "A LOT of smoke".

US fires tear gas across Mexico border to stop migrants
AP reported that, contrary to CBP's report, some of the canisters did hurt the migrants, women and children among them. Migrants said they thought security measures might be relaxed due to the New Year's holiday.

Hillard says he was not satisfied with how this all transpired, so he took back possession of the damaged phone, returned home with it, and called the Apple Care line. The employees there took his phone, according to Hillard, and told him that they couldn't do much more for him.

"The employee resurfaced with the phone already packaged and told me that they were going to send it back to the engineering team", he recalls. "The manager then came up to me and said that this is the only way that I could receive a replacement phone", he added.

Forbes summed up Apple's issue well: "The problem is Apple is neither out-innovating its competition in the Android ecosystem, nor is it even remotely price-competitive any longer, even with the entry-level iPhone XR that starts at $749". To find out if your battery needs replacing, head to the Setting Battery and check the maximum capacity of the phone's battery in the new Battery Health section.

According to BloombergQuint, which was recently in contact with Sony, that company will be "boosting production of next-generation 3D sensors after getting interest from customers", customers that include Apple Inc.

It's unclear what might have caused the fire in Hillard's iPhone, but his account of what happened could indicate that the battery inside the iPhone XS Max overheated for some reason.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER