Iran FM accuses foreign-backed terrorists of Chabahar attack

Sergio Cunningham
December 6, 2018

India Thursday strongly condemned the terrorist attack in Chabahar in Iran.

"Iran will bring terrorists and their masters to justice", he wrote on Twitter. "As we've made clear in the past, such crimes won't go unpunished", Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted.

Mohammad Pakpur, the commander of the ground forces of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) said the attack had failed.

Immediately after the bomber detonated the vehicle bomb, gunmen attempted to storm the police headquarters but were killed by security forces, Iranian media reported.

In an online communique, the Sunni jihadist group Ansar al-Furqan claimed responsibility for the attack, according to the Washington-based SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors online extremist activity.

Chabahar is a key port city on the Gulf of Oman about 100 kilometers west of Iran's border with Pakistan.

We have ‘options’ in place for Virat Kohli: Josh Hazlewood
Human headline Kohli is dominating Indian angles in the build-up to the Test series against Australia starting Thursday. The series will also show if Rishabh Pant can step up to the big level, and if Rohit Sharma can revive his Test career.

A suicide auto bomber has attacked a police headquarters in the Iranian port city of Chabahar, killing at least three people and wounding several others, according to state TV.

Chabahar Port, which is being developed with funding from India, has been described as India's "golden gateway" that will help boost trade links to land-locked Afghanistan and central Asia, while bypassing its regional rival, Pakistan.

Citing Afghanistan's economy, the United States last approved a sanctions exemption for Chabahar when it re-imposed a second round of bans against Iran months after its withdrawal from a 2015 multilateral deal with Iran, which is officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). "There can be no justification for any act of terror", the MEA said.

The state news agency IRNA said some 24 people had been wounded.

An Iranian ethnic Arab separatist Sunni militant group and Islamic State both claimed responsibility for that attack.

The US, the Israeli regime and "the terrorist governments in the region that support them" feel desperate and angry over the "shameful defeat" they have suffered in their attempts to strip the Iranian nation of their independence and freedom, he said.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER