Submarine that disappeared with 44 crew on board found in Atlantic

Leroy Wright
November 18, 2018

The discovery came the day after a ceremony, which Macri attended, at the San Juan's Mar del Plata base on the first anniversary of its disappearance.

"I still had hopes that they could be alive", Luis Niz, the father of one of the missing sailors, told reporters, even though the government of President Mauricio Macri had earlier declared that there were no survivors from the San Juan.

The navy says it is a "positive identification".

The vessel, discovered by marine tracking contractor Ocean Infinity, was found 907m below the ocean surface in a canyon on the ocean floor with its tail partially imploded, Defence Minister Carlos Aguad told a news conference on Saturday.

The shipwreck killed 44 crew members aboard.

"No, we don't have the means to go down to that depth of the sea", he said, adding that authorities "do not have the equipment to bring the submarine out from such a depth".

The stunning news, which has been confirmed by the Defence Ministry, the Navy and the United States firm leading the search for the vessel, arrived in the early hours of Saturday morning.

U.S. orders restriction on e-cigarette sales; youth use surges
But some say adult smokers switching to e-cigarettes have also helped drive down the rate in recent years. Koval said the number of high school students using e-cigarettes almost doubled in just one year.

There has been "positive identification of the ARA San Juan", 800 meters (yards) deep by the Ocean Infinity, a statement from the navy said, referring to a USA company involved in the search.

Family members at the navy headquarters were shown three images of the remains of the San Juan's "sail", or tower, and bow sections.

The discovery was announced just two days after families of the missing sailors held a commemoration one year after the sub disappeared on November 15, 2017. Some families of missing crew members blamed the government for under-funding the Navy.

During the retrofitting, the vessel was cut in half and had its engines and batteries replaced.

The government will now have to investigate whether the submarine can be raised from its current resting place.

It was only several days into the tragedy that Navy officials acknowledged the old, German-built submarine had reported a problem with its batteries in its final communication on November 15. The company had previously been contracted to find Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which disappeared over the Indian Ocean in 2014.

Argentina has ended a rescue operation for 44 crew members aboard submarine that went missing on Nov. 15, but it will continue the search for the sub, the Navy informed Thursday Nov. 30.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER