One dead in stabbing rampage in Melbourne

Leroy Wright
November 11, 2018

A man has killed one person and wounded two others in a knife rampage in Melbourne that police are treating as a terror attack.

Shire Ali's brother was arrested in a dramatic raid last November. "The area has been cordoned off", police said, as they called for "anyone with information or who witnessed the incident is asked to go to Melbourne West Police Station to make a statement". He is in jail awaiting trial. One of the victims also died and the two others were admitted to hospital. Hundreds of people watched from behind barricades as police tried to apprehend the attacker.

Islamic State - which often claims responsibility for such attacks - said via its propaganda arm that the perpetrator was an "Islamic State fighter and carried out the operation".

The attack on Bourke Street horrified hundreds of onlookers during the afternoon rush hour in Australia's second-biggest city.

"We're not saying there was direct contact".

Video posted online and on our Facebook page shows the suspect, who appears to be a black male wielding a knife and attacking a two of police officers as fearless members of the public try to "bring him down" with a trolly and a chair.

The cylinders did not explode and the fire was put out in 10 minutes, by which point the attack was over.

Meghan's first appearance since she left the royal tour
She's also reportedly been sending out thank yous to those who donated to the royals' favorite charities in lieu of wedding gifts. Prince Harry got really worked up about it and that's when the Queen chose to step in and have a word with him.

Police later shot the man who threatened officers with a knife and he is in a critical condition under guard at a hospital, Victoria Police Superintendent David Clayton told reporters.

Police were initially called to an incident in Bourke Street, right in the heart of Melbourne, after reports of smoke and a vehicle in flames. One of the victims died from his injuries.

This year is of particular significance as it marks 100 years since the end of World War 1.

A staunch U.S. ally, Australia has been on alert for such violence after a Sydney cafe siege in 2014, and its intelligence agencies have stepped up scrutiny, though there was no warning of the latest attack.

Speaking with media this morning, Police Commissioner Graham Ashton said that Khalif was known "at the national level" as well as to state police, adding that he had a "prior criminal history" related to drug and driving offenses.

Ashton said police were "doing security reassessments of these events in light of what's occurred", but there was "no ongoing threat we're now aware of in relation to people surrounding this individual".

The lone terrorist who fatally stabbed a man in Bourke Street on Friday has been named by police as 31-year-old Mohamed Khalif.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article