At least seven killed in attack on Coptic Christian bus in Egypt

Leroy Wright
November 3, 2018

In May 2017, at least 28 people were killed and dozens more wounded when attackers opened fire on a vehicle carrying Coptic Christians to the complex.

A security official confirmed the attack, adding that there were "dead and wounded".

The security source stressed the need for all media to abide by the official statements only, and avoid taking information from unverified social media sources.

The attack took place very close to the spot where gunmen killed 28 Christians in a similar attack in May previous year.

I am deeply saddened by the martyrs who fell today by treacherous hands seeking to undermine the fabric of a cohesive homeland. Earlier Friday, the church television channel had said 10 people were killed.

"I assert our determination to fight dark terrorism and to pursue the perpetrators", he said on Twitter.

The government imposed a three-month state of emergency across the country after the April 2017 church bombings.

Bus seen crashing off Chinese bridge after fight between passenger and driver
Rescue teams said that at least 13 people died, while two remaining passengers are still unaccounted for following the accident. Police said the passenger, identified as a 48-year-old woman with the surname Liu, was angry that the bus had missed her stop.

Coptic Orthodox Church spokesman Boulos Halim said the death toll was likely to rise.

A year earlier, an IS suicide bomber killed nearly 30 worshippers at a church in Cairo located in the Saint Mark's Cathedral complex, the seat of the Coptic papacy.

Egyptian troops launched a major offensive in February against ISIS in the Sinai Peninsula, where the group has waged a deadly insurgency since the fall of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in 2013.

Egyptian authorities have also convicted jihadists for their role in attacks against Copts.

Just last month, an Egyptian military court handed down death sentences to 17 people convicted in a series of fatal attacks on Christians throughout the country since December 2016.

At least seven were killed after unknown gunmen shot at a bus transporting a group of Coptic Christians in Egypt's Minya governorate on Friday.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER