Khashoggi's fiancée demands answers, says Saudi authorities are responsible for killing

Leroy Wright
October 30, 2018

Top Saudi and Turkish prosecutors on Monday discussed the investigation into the killing of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi, a show of cooperation despite differences over which country should try 18 suspects who were detained in Saudi Arabia.

His fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, said she was not satisfied with the version of events presented by Saudi Arabia, saying their explanations were "not sufficient". "We must fully investigate the nature of these facts, and who's responsible", the French President said while adding, "Sanctions must be taken on this basis and these sanctions must be coherent and complete, and be extremely concrete and proportional".

Turkey has called for the investigation into the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi to be completed "as soon as possible", after state media reported Saudi Arabia's chief prosecutor met with the head of the Turkish probe.

Turkey alleges a hit squad from Saudi Arabia travelled to Istanbul to kill the journalist who was critical of the Saudi leadership and then tried to cover it up.

The death of Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and a critic of Saudi Arabia's de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, caused global outrage and pitched the world's top oil exporter into crisis.

"This incident, this assassination, took place in the Saudi consulate", Ms. Cengiz said, speaking through a translator.

Four Jags DBs involved in incident at London club
Church and his teammates were arrested failing to pay their tab, but were later released with no further action taken by police. The Jaguars issued a statement confirming earlier reports that the players had been detained "over restitution of a bill".

The killing has tainted the image of Prince Mohammed, who has positioned himself as a Saudi reformer, and tested ties between Washington and Riyadh as Western powers demand answers over Mr Khashoggi's death. Cengiz first raised the alarm.

Slain journalist Jamal Khashoggi was about to disclose some detailed information about Saudi Arabia's use of chemical weapons in Yemen and the United Kingdom had been made aware of a planned plot against him weeks before he was killed in the Saudi Consulate building in Istanbul, a British tabloid claimed on Sunday.

Saudi authorities have arrested 18 men over the murder and Mr Erdogan has requested they be extradited for trial in Turkey.

Asked at a news conference in Prague how a Saudi government investigation could get to the bottom of whether the crown prince was involved in ordering the killing, Mattis emphasized that evidence Turkish authorities have gathered would also be taken into account.

Turkey's foreign minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu, on Monday welcomed the co-operation between Turkish and Saudi investigators and said he hoped there would be no further delays. "I want to know the details of who is responsible".

The two countries have announced a joint investigation of the journalist's killing in Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul, although Turkey has leaked evidence to the media in an apparent effort to pressure its regional rival over the crime committed by Saudi officials.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER