Paddington station: Evening rush hour disruption expected

Roman Schwartz
October 20, 2018

At around 12.40pm, Great Western Railway (GWR) tweeted: "Following overhead line damage some lines have reopened and a reduced service is operating into and out of London Paddington".

About 500m of overhead cables were "severely" damaged during a Hitachi train test run on Tuesday night.

The high-speed Japanese train brought the overhead wires down while running from London to Bristol depot and many trains became stuck between Paddington and Reading due to a loss of power supply. "We advise passengers to check before they travel with their train operator or visit for the latest travel information".

The train was not in passenger service.

In a statement this evening, Network Rail warned that not all of its repairs could be completed over night.

Great Western Railway says the morning rush hour to the capital should function well but commuters may face problems getting home as repairs to damaged cables continue.

Travellers at Paddington station
Travellers at a quiet Paddington station

United Kingdom infrastructure operator Network Rail said services were suspended on Wednesday after lines were damaged on Tuesday.

Services were delayed or cancelled throughout Wednesday.

Great Western Rail customers can use their tickets on a variety of other services and are urged to check before they travel.

In the early hours, National Rail said a near-normal service had resumed, with some alterations on commuter services in the Thames Valley area, including trains serving Maidenhead and Twyford.

Delays on the Central, Circle, District, Hammersmith and City, Jubilee and Metropolitan London Underground lines compounded difficulties for passengers trying to get across the city after arriving at alternative rail hubs.

UAE, Egypt and Bahrain commend Saudi Arabia' decrees on Khashoggi case
The prominent journalist had written columns critical of the Saudi government while living in self-imposed exile in the US. These Turkish sources said an audio recording existed, though none has been made public or provided to US authorities.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article