Homeless Samaritan Will Get Cash; New Jersey Couple Under Investigation

Leroy Wright
September 7, 2018

Authorities say they've opened a criminal investigation and executed a search warrant at the home of a New Jersey couple who raised $400,000 through GoFundMe for a homeless good Samaritan who now claims they mismanaged the cash.

Both prosecutors and police confirmed that a search warrant was executed early Thursday at the residence of Kate McClure and her boyfriend Mark D'Amico in Florence Township.

According to media reports, a New Jersey judge hearing a civil lawsuit filed by Bobbitt ordered the couple to testify under oath on September 10 about what happened to the money.

The couple started a GoFundMe campaign last November after Bobbitt gave them his last $20 for gas when their auto broke down on I-95 in New Jersey.

McClure and D'Amico have been embroiled in a legal fight with Johnny Bobbitt Jr. after they started a GoFundMe account for him.

Bobbitt's lawyer says he's been told that all the money is now gone.

In this November 17, 2017, file photo, Johnny Bobbitt Jr., left, Kate McClure, right, and McClure's boyfriend Mark D'Amico are pictured in Philadelphia.

"GoFundMe and Cozen O'Connor on behalf of Johnny Bobbitt are pleased to report that [Bobbitt] will be made whole and we're committing that he'll get the balance of the funds that he has not yet received or benefitted from", says GoFundMe spokesperson Bobby Whithorne in a statement to Fast Company.

The couple also bought Mr Bobbitt a camper with some of the cash and parked it on land McClure's family owns in New Jersey. The company said it also gave $20,000 to an account set up by his attorney to help him during the investigation.

Brazil's Right-Wing Presidential Candidate Stabbed in the Stomach
The military police of Mina Gerais told local media that a 40-year-old suspect had been taken into custody. Other presidential candidates were quick to condemn the assault.

Their attorney has indicated the couple will claim their constitutional right not to have to testify. But Bobbitt became homeless again after D'Amico told him in June that he had to leave the property.

Bobbitt is now in a drug addiction program. The trust would remain under the control of Bobbitt's lawyers but would not be used until the judge decides how it would be managed. No criminal charges have been filed at this point. McClure and D'Amico now stand accused of giving Bobbitt only a small portion of the GoFundMe donations while recklessly spending the rest. Other videos showed D'Amico hitting golf balls off the lawn around the home. The campaign went viral and drew $402,706 from more than 14,000 donors who wanted to help Bobbitt buy a home and get his life together.

But in court documents filed by Bobbitt's attorneys, the couple was accused of using "substantial portions of the money raised for their own personal use".

But the story did not have such a happy ending after plans to disperse the money went downhill and Bobbitt claimed the couple had not given him all the money they raised for him. It raised $545,000 for him but he's yet to see all the money.

The Bobbitt case is an example of why donors are better off contributing to nonprofits that are subject to regulations and financial reporting requirements, he said.

Neither the couple nor Bobbitt was in court Wednesday.

The couple who allegedly mishandled the $400,000 raised for a homeless man has had their new BMW confiscated by authorities.

As for Bobbitt, the couple said he once burned through $25,000 they gave him in less than two weeks.

This photo taken August 15, 2018, shows Johnny Bobbitt Jr., the homeless veteran who gave $20 for gas for Kate McClure, back on the streets with his brother.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER