Five people still missing after Genoa bridge collapse

Leroy Wright
August 19, 2018

"The President of the Lega Serie A, given the requests for postponement of their matches scheduled for Sunday, Aug. 19 at 20.30 [CET] on the part of the clubs Sampdoria and Genoa as result of the tragedy which hit Genoa, and having received the approval of both Fiorentina and Milan, has decided on the postponement of the Sampdoria-Fiorentina and Milan-Genoa matches", the statement said.

"Now it is the time of grief. but we must think about the conditions of the roads of our region and the security of our infrastructure because these victims can not be followed by other victims", Ilaria Caprioglio, the mayor of the town of Savona, said ahead of the ceremony.

Meanwhile, Romanian man Marian Rosca, who was injured in the collapse, died in hospital.

Authorities have planned a state funeral service on Saturday at a hall in Genoa, coinciding with a day of mourning.

Coffins containing bodies of victims of the Genoa bridge collapse are seen at the Genoa Trade Fair and Exhibition Centre in Genoa, Italy August 17, 2018.

The bridge's operator, Autostrade per l'Italia, is under mounting pressure from politicians and share traders, with the government threatening to terminate contracts and impose heavy fines.

Among the coffins was a small white one for the youngest victim, an eight-year-old boy who was killed alongside his parents as they prepared to catch a ferry to the holiday island of Sardinia.

The first funerals were being held later Friday, ahead of a state funeral in Genoa on Saturday to be celebrated by Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco.

Thomas Partey eyes 'greater' season with Atletico Madrid
Julen Lopetegui's Madrid open their LaLiga campaign against Getafe at the Santiago Bernabeu on Sunday. My biggest concern is to make sure we are capable of competing'.

So far 38 people are confirmed to have died in the disaster and five are still unaccounted for. According to Reuters, Giovanni Castellucci, the company's CEO, said it was "premature" to comment on the government's process of revoking concessions. Their remains were blessed at the end of the Catholic service by a Genoa imam, who drew applause when he prayed for God to "protect Italy and all Italians". "The concessionaire has faults that appear very grave", Toninelli said in an interview with La Stampa, adding that it was up to investigators to establish who was responsible. Bagnasco told the mourners that Pope Francis had called him Friday evening to express his closeness to all those suffering.

He encouraged the mourners to show solidarity in building "new bridges to walk together" to rise above the tragedy.

Roberto, father of another victim, used social media to vent his anger: "My son will not become a number in the catalogue of deaths caused by Italian failures".

Also attending were Premier Giuseppe Conte and several Cabinet members, including Italy's transportation and infrastructure minister.

Italian state radio says the body of a 30-year-old man has been found in the Genoa bridge collapse, bringing the death toll to 42.

The local prefect's office, which is issuing official numbers of the dead, said it didn't immediately have information about the latest bodies found.

A few hours earlier, the bodies of an Italian couple and their 9-year-old daughter were found in their smashed vehicle under a big block of concrete, part of tons of material that crashed 150 feet into a dry riverbed and nearby areas when the heavily trafficked major highway span gave way. It said they were three family members, including a child, who had been traveling for a vacation when their auto, with about 30 other vehicles, plunged when the bridge gave way.

Autostrade said its chairman and chief executive officer would outline initiatives to support victims' families, missing people and those evacuated from their homes as well as others aimed at helping traffic in the city.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER