Dozens killed, including children on a bus, in Yemen air strikes

Leroy Wright
August 10, 2018

Fragments from the Houthi missile launched at Jizan Industrial City killed one Yemeni civilian and wounded 11, Saudi state media said earlier on Thursday.

The International Committee of the Red Cross, citing local officials, announced that a total of 50 people have died in the attack and 77 have been injured, a lot of them children.

Hours later, well after the blast's violent rumble gave way to sirens and the victim's screams, a clearer sense of the human cost has emerged: At least 29 children under the age of 15, some as young as 6 years old, were killed in the attack, according to the International Committee of the Red Cross.

He said the rebels have "ballistic missiles threatening our national security, Saudi cities and villages on the border".

The Saudi-led coalition called the airstrike a "legitimate military operation", and a retaliation to a Houthi ballistic missile that targeted the kingdom's Jizan province on Wednesday night, according to Saudi Arabia's official news agency.

At least 43 people were killed and 63 injured in the strike, according to the Houthi-held health ministry.

Abu Muzahem, a resident of Dahyan, was working building a house when the air strike hit the market on Thursday morning.

The Houthis' al-Masirah TV reported that 39 people had been killed and 51 wounded, saying they were "mostly children". "Our noncombat support focuses on improving coalition processes and procedures, especially regarding compliance with the law of armed conflict and best practices for reducing the risk of civilian casualties", the statement said.

The strike was carried out by the Saudi Arabian-led coalition, which is backed in this war by the U.S.

Blizzard Has ‘Multiple Diablo Projects’ in the Works
Trust me when I say the team here is now crossing all crossable appendages regarding that potential tidbit of news. Blizzard Entertainment is working on multiple Diablo projects, the developer and publisher revealed on Wednesday.

The coalition denied responsibility for those attacks.

"The [Saudi-led coalition] will take all necessary measures against the terrorist, criminal acts of the terrorist Iranian-Houthi militia, such as recruiting child soldiers, throwing them in battlefields and using them as tools and covers to their terrorist acts", Saudi military spokesman Turki AlMalki said in a statement.

Col. Al-Maliki stressed: "The Joint Forces Command of the Coalition will take all deterrent measures against such barbaric, frivolous launches in conformity with the global humanitarian law, and those who support these terrorist crimes will be held accountable for their actions".

The Huthis have in recent months ramped up missile attacks against Saudi Arabia, which Riyadh usually says it intercepts.

There was no immediate comment from the coalition, which intervened in 2015 to try to restore the internationally recognized government to power after it was driven out of the capital Sanaa by the rebels.

The United States called on the Saudi-led coalition to launch an investigation into the events that unfolded in Yemen on Thursday.

The first day of the campaign rounded up 500 weapons from tribal members in the area, said Col Al Buhar.

The fight for the port of Hodeida, a key lifeline for supplies and aid for Yemen's population on the brink of starvation, has become the latest battleground in the devastating war.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER