Man loses both legs after being licked by dog

Pearl Mccarthy
August 2, 2018

A Wisconsin man has reportedly had both legs and hands amputated after he contracted a rare infection that his family says likely came from being licked by a dog.

Last month, Greg Manteufel, from West Bend, started experiencing flu-like symptoms including fever, vomiting and diarrhea.

48-year-old Manteufel began to go into septic shock as the mysterious symptoms continued to worsen.

According to The Washington Post, doctors told Manteufel's wife that the infection was not common and was a "crazy fluke". "Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat". Blood tests revealed an infection caused by the bacteria - capnocytophaga. Since 1976, there have been about 500 reported cases In the United States US and Canada when no signs of an actual cat or dog bite was found.

The infection caused Manteufel's blood pressure to drop and circulation to his limbs decreased.

Being as positive as they can, Dawn stated they'd rather focus on what her husband has left, than what was taken away.

The family has since set up a GoFundMe to raise money for the operations and rehabilitation that Manteufel will need, and it's already raised over $10,000.

MDC supporters erupt in Harare, as Biti claims assasination attempts
Dark smoke rose near the offices of the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission where protesters burned tyres and at least two vehicles. Mr Mnangagwa faces an unemployment crisis following the collapse of agriculture, hyperinflation and an exodus of investment.

'It took a week and they were taking his legs.

Manteufel contracted Capnocytophaga canimorsus, but there are other species of the bacteria that cause lesser side effects compared to what he had to go through. Within a week, doctors had to amputate his legs and had to undergo surgery to remove a portion of his hands, as well as half of his forearms.

"This type of bacteria comes from the saliva of dogs", Dr. Dilvia Munoz-Price, and infectious disease specialist, said.

According to the West Gate Pet Clinic, Capnocytophaga canimorsus infections are transmitted primarily through contact with a pet's saliva, generally through a bite wound, although infections may also be caused by a pet merely licking an open wound or burn.

Within a week, Manteufel's legs were amputated from the knees down. "It's just chance", Dr. Munoz-Price added. "More than 99 percent of the people that have dogs will never have this issue", Munoz-Price said.

The CDC calls these rare infections "opportunistic", striking people who have compromised immune systems such as individuals with HIV, cancer, people who have had their spleens removed and sometimes heavy drinkers.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER