Indianapolis teen severely burned in internet prank gone wrong

Pearl Mccarthy
July 31, 2018

A fifteen-year-old in Indianapolis, Indiana, suffered painful injuries after his alleged friend poured scalding hot water on him while he slept as a part of the "hot water challenge". The incident occurred after Clark and his friends had watched videos of the challenge on YouTube. When he fell asleep, he says the friend heated up some water and poured it on him, in what was supposed to be a joke, according to CBS affiliate WXIN. "I'm just blessed that he's still breathing".

"My skin just fell off my chest, and then I looked in the mirror and I had skin falling off here and on my face", he said.

The prank left Kyland in excruciating pain with second-degree burns all over his body, that required a week of treatment in hospital.

Doctors at Indiana University Health told FOX 59 they're seeing more prank-related injuries in the emergency room.

Mueller lists 35 potential witnesses in trial of Trump's ex-campaign manager
Rudy Giuliani, the president's personal lawyer, has indicated that Mr Trump could pardon Mr Manafort should he be found guilty. If the judge rules in their favour, prosecutors could present evidence that delves deeper into Manafort's Russian connections.

"There's a limit to what you should do in a challenge and what you shouldn't", the teen said. Hopefully the lesson Clark learned can promulgate throughout the internet faster than the challenge itself, showing young people that boiling water, whether tossed on someone or ingested, is nothing to laugh about. She said, "To see my baby all burnt up like that, it was heartbreaking".

The "challenge" calls for boiling water to be poured on a friend who typically doesn't see it coming (some people participate willingly), or drinking boiling water from a straw. The stupid viral challenges are very unsafe, and the Hot Water Challenge follows the same vein. In the case of the hot water challenge, Dr. Ed Bartkus says it's possible to end up with permanent disfigurement due to burns or, if someone swallows the hot water, burns to the airway that could cause them to close, resulting in death. Don't take it overboard, ' Kyland told WLTW.

Kyland is expected to heal from his injuries, and doctors say his pigment should return in a few months.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER