Man dies after eating bad oyster in Florida

Pearl Mccarthy
July 21, 2018

A man who ate raw oysters at a Florida restaurant has died after contracting an infection from the Vibrio vulnificus bacteria, health officials say.

Though sometimes labeled a "flesh-eating" bacteria, Vibrio vulnificus can not attack healthy skin, the Sun-Sentinel reported.

Health officials say the bacteria can be found anywhere in salt water at any time and can also be found in raw or undercooked shell fish.

The 71-year-old man ate oysters at a Sarasota restaurant and died two days later. The name of the restaurant that served the oyster has not been released.

The matter is now being investigated by the health officials who are trying to collect as much of information as they can from the restaurant that served the tainted oysters.

Vibrio vulnificus belongs to a class of bacteria known as "halophilic", because they thrive in salty environments.

Microscopic view of "Vibrio vulnificus" bacteria.

Trump claims Fed rate hikes hinder U.S. economy
Trump earlier this month imposed 25-per-cent tariffs on US$34 billion of Chinese goods, with another US$16 billion to follow soon. Speaking about Fed policy in his interview with CNBC , Trump said he is "letting them do what they feel is best".

Last year, Manatee County had two cases of flesh eating bacteria and Sarasota County had none.

Infections are more likely between May and October when the water is warmer. "People with vibriosis become infected by consuming raw or undercooked seafood or exposing a wound to seawater".

Eating seafood or taking a swim in the water may seem like an essential summertime pastime, but you should be careful of the bacteria Vibrio vulnificus, which pops up more with the heat.

Vibrio vulnificus is a rare disease but infections will lead to vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, according to the departments website.

Those affected should confer with a doctor if any of these symptoms occur soon after eating raw shellfish or entering the water with open wounds.

This is the first confirmed case and death from Vibrio vulnificus in Sarasota County this year.

Suspected cases of Vibrio vulnificus need to be immediately treated with antibiotics to improve their survival.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER