Ninth Boy Rescued From Flooded Thailand Cave

Sergio Cunningham
July 11, 2018

Announcing the successful completion of its nail-biting rescue, the Thai navy SEAL unit said on its official Facebook page: "The 12 Wild Boars and coach have emerged from the cave and they are safe".

Chiang Rai Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn had said earlier Tuesday that the day's effort might take longer than the previous two rescue missions, but the final four players and coach were out of the cave within 10 hours of the operation's start.

An additional four boys were brought out on Monday, and the last four boys and the coach were rescued on Tuesday. The effort turned tragic on Friday, July 6, when former Navy SEAL Saman Kunan ran out of oxygen and died.

A Reuters witness saw three people being carried out of the Tham Luang cave on stretchers separately on Tuesday, the third day of the rescue operation.

"Who the hell would give that to a kid?" he said about an anesthetic, adding the boys were instead given "something to make them not too nervous and panic".

Tham Luang caves, Thailand (CNN)- Rescuers working at a cave site in northern Thailand have suspended operations for the day after bringing four more boys out of the flooded cave system Monday, according to a witness working with the rescue team, bringing the total number of rescued boys to eight.

Two of the boys had suspected lung infections but the four boys from the first group rescued were all walking around in hospital.

Dozens of immigrant children will be reunited with parents
The order provided the administration with 15 days to reunite children under the age of 5 and 30 days to reunite all others. Those "impediments" included deportation of a parent or "safety and suitability screenings" that were ongoing.

Manchester United have invited the 12 boys who were rescued after 17 days underground in a Thai cave to watch a match at Old Trafford this season.

So far the group have been "kept away" from physical contact with their parents until the risk of infection is over and doctors have only allowed family and loved ones to see them through glass. A local government official confirmed the rescue while a police source, who also did not want to be named, said "the ninth and tenth were about 20 minutes apart".

Public health officials said at a press conference from the hospital that the first four rescued boys had low temperatures.

"I am very happy about those who already made it out and I think everyone will be out today", said Waranchit Karnkaew, 14, who also said the football-mad boys had been closely following games at the World Cup in Russian Federation before they were trapped. Monday's mission took about nine hours, two fewer than Sunday's.

The first three children brought out this morning were treated first in a field hospital before they were stable enough to be transported to a normal hospital, reported the NOS from Thailand. The Wild Boars is the name of the soccer team.

There are concerns they may have consumed contaminated water, while bird or bat droppings could cause infections. Eight children have been rescued.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article