Indian Supreme Court orders Nirbhaya's rapists to hang

Leroy Wright
July 10, 2018

Delhi Police, however, opposed the review plea and told the court that submissions advanced by the counsel appearing for Mukesh do not make out a case for review of the apex court's judgment.

India's Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence in the 2012 New Delhi bus gang-rape case, a crime that sparked widespread protests leading to stronger anti-rape laws.

In its 2017 verdict, the Supreme Court had upheld the death sentence the Delhi High Court and trial court had awarded to the convicts for raping the 23-year-old in a moving bus in December 2012.

The fourth did not appeal, but his lawyer said they would soon file one, according to the Press Trust of India news agency.

"All the three dying declarations having been relied (on) by trial court, high court and this court and all arguments attacking the dying declarations having been considered and rejected, in its judgment dated May 5, 2017, we are of the view that the petitioner can not be allowed to re-agitate the same issues which were already considered and expressly rejected by this court", the bench, also comprising Justices R Banumathi and Ashok Bhushan, said.

The victim's parents on Monday welcomed the ruling, with her mother Asha Singh saying it was "very happy news".

The convicts still have the option to file a curative petition in the Supreme Court and send mercy petitions to the President of India.

Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore evacuated due to possible TB exposure
According to Johns Hopkins Medicine officials, the amount of frozen tuberculosis released was the equivalent of a few drops. John Hopkins is planning an internal review. "If not treated properly, TB disease can be fatal".

The brutal crime had sparked widespread protests and drew worldwide attention over violence against women in India.

One of the accused in the case, Ram Singh, had allegedly committed suicide in the Tihar Jail.

The Indian chapter of the Amnesty International said procedural and institutional reforms are needed to curb the crimes against women. Of six assailants eventually arrested, the fifth man died in prison in 2013 and the sixth was a juvenile who served his three-year sentence in a youth offender facility.

The 23-year-old woman was coming home from the cinema with a male friend when a six-strong gang beat the man unconscious before raping and torturing her.

Ms Singh was dumped on the streets 45 minutes later and died from her internal injuries 13 days after the attack in a Singapore hospital.

This led to the introduction of the death sentence for raping girls younger than 12. "What has happened between the confirmation of death sentence and now - there is no diminution of sexual violence against women", Grower said.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article