Anthony Joshua: Deontay Wilder says he has agreed to UK unification fight

Heather Diaz
June 12, 2018

"But I think they are slowly realizing that without Anthony Joshua, the future is not too bright and rosy for Deontay Wilder".

But in recent weeks, talks appeared to have stalled with the two parties at loggerheads over where the fight should take place; Wilder had previously offered Joshua $50m (£37m) to travel to the U.S. for the undisputed heavyweight showdown but the 28-year-old Olympic gold medallist has been adamant the fight should take place in the UK.

The victor of a Joshua-Wilder bout would be the first man to hold all four heavyweight titles - WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO - simultaneously.

Location seemed to be the largest stumbling block in the talks between the fighters" camps as both men wanted home advantage and "AJ' has seemingly won out after admitting that he'd be happy to take a lesser purse to have the contest take place in the UK.

"Deontay has accepted his terms to fight in the U.K. Deontay sent an email to Joshua (Sunday) night and I sent one today to Barry Hearn and Eddie telling them that we officially accept the offer to fight under the terms they gave us and to send us the contract".

Finkel, who said he and Wilder co-manager Al Haymon talk daily and are on the same page, said the offer Wilder accepted is a two-fight deal with terms agreed to for a rematch that would take place in the United States.

Kendall Rae Knight first to be dumped from Love Island 2018
Speaking after being booted off, she revealed she's "gutted" to be the first out, and explained who she had her eye on... However in the eviction, he told the group: "I want to couple up with the girl because she is attractive and confident".

That offer did not meet the requirements of Joshua and Hearn, with the duo edging towards a fight against Russian contender Alexander Povetkin in recent days.

But talks had been continuing with Wilder's management team and the American has chose to accept their offer.

The $50m offer for him to fight me next in the United States is still available. "It's up to them to choose". "We want the fight next, we've signed the contract and we're ready to go".

'It will take place in the United Kingdom either September or October according to Eddie Hearn.

The victor of the first fight will become the undisputed heavyweight champion.

He said on Instagram: 'Dear Anthony Joshua fans, since your acting dumb, delusional or just plain Stupid here you go, breaking news.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER